Monday, October 24, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Fairs, Oh My!

Okay, I'd like to begin by apologizing for the cliché post title. I couldn't resist, and you will see why later.

I have now been in Spain for almost three weeks. When I think about it, I don't feel like I've been here for that long. However, when I begin to think of everything I've done and all the people I've met, there's no way I could've been here for less than that time. I hope that makes sense! A lot has gone on, so I'll give you the highlights of my time here since my previous post.

On Saturday, October 8th (my third day here), was a special Rotary dog show event. Even though I didn't really care about the dog show, it was a good time because all of us RYE kiddies were there together. I came with Molly and Jaime (her host brother who went to the US last year), and later on Matt came with his host brother Eugenio (only one year younger than Matt and I), I think. Sidenote: I am having a terrible time with remembering names. I think it will become easier, but right now it's bad! Anyways, it was cool all being together, and seeing Matt again since the outbound picnic back in July. Also that day, Jaime, Molly, and I went to a special open-air market in San Pedro, which was pretty cool. Here are some pictures of the market:





On Sunday, October 9th, Paola took me up to the mountains! Technically speaking, we went to Sierra Bermeja. You can click on that for more info if you want. All I can say really, is that the moutains are so beautiful. I can hardly take it in. I see the mountains everyday, and I keep on thinking that somehow I will become accustomed to the beauty here, but it just hasn't happened. At Sierra Bermeja, Paola and I saw some incredible views of Estepona/Marbella (?) and the sea, and of course, more mountains. Sometime, I want to go hiking in the mountains, and maybe go camping up there too. 





Reina and I - just chillin'.


On Monday the 10th, I had my first day of Spanish school. Although I couldn't understand any of my classes (aside from English Class), I met so many nice people and somehow made it out of there alive. When I got home, I was so exhausted that I took a two hour nap. That first day of school has by far been my most tiring so far. Now, school is definitely tiring (and easily gets boring), but I think that my mind has become accustomed to 6 hours of Spanish with out completely crashing. Because of holidays/feria (which I will tell you about soon), I've actually only been to six school days, so I still haven't quite got into a routine yet. Once I do, I will write more about my life in Spanish school.

Wednesday the 12th was a national holiday in Spain, so nobody had school or work! I was fine with this because my mind was melting after the first two days of school - Spanish OVERLOAD. So, Paola and Tutsi (Jaime's mom) took Molly, Jaime, and I to Gibraltar (<---click on that for more info), a British Territory in south Spain known for the Rock of Gibraltar (<---yep, you can click that too). So basically, the Rock of Gibraltar is a HUGE rock (mountain island?) with a lot of monkeys and British people. It was really fun because we went up the rock where there were caves and tunnel like things in the rock with rooms. Also, we got to see some amazing views from the rock.






We have now been to England! We even got the stamp in our passports!



On Saturday the 15th, Jaime, Molly and I went to the zoo in Estepona! It was called Selwo Aventura, and themed like an African safari! Although the animals weren't that different than those that I've seen at zoos in America, the setting was completely different. There were hills, valleys, plants from around the world, and of course, the mountains. The animals were cool, don't get me wrong, but the scenery here is breathtaking. The zoo kind of made me feel like I was in Scout's Safari. Does anybody remember that show? Because that's what it seemed like at times. At one point, the three of us rode on this safari bus and went all over the zoo, seeing all sorts of cool animals such as lions, tigers, and bears. The only downer of the day was when this crazy, huge bird bit Molly's leg. It just walked over to us and chomped down! Good thing Molly is used to loco animals, being from Australia!





See the zebras?
 Last week, I only went to school on Monday and Tuesday because of the San Pedro Feria (Fair)! I'm not sure how it all works, but I'll tell you what I think I heard: Feria is an anual, week-long celebration that happens in towns at different times of the summer/early fall, depending on when they celebrate . . . something, the town Saint, I think (?). Either way, on Wednesday the 19th, nobody in San Pedro had school or work! Yay! So, Paola and Tutsi took Molly, Jaime, and I to Teleferico Cablecar Benalmadena, located between Marbella and Malaga. There, we went on a cable car and saw beautiful views of city, sea, and mountains. Check out below to see what I saw!






And finally, what I'm you've all been waiting for: FERIA! Where to start? Technically, Feria was kicked off on Monday (the 17th) night, with a fireworks show. I however, being the exchange student that knows next to nothing around here, did not go to the fireworks. I didn't kick myself too hard though because we have fireworks in the US - we even have them in Iowa! Tuesday night was the first night of feria festivities. (There was all kinds of stuff - music, dancers, etc. during the daytime throughout the week that I never went to . . .) Anyways, on Tuesday I went to the fair with some friends from school. When we first got there, I couldn't believe how cool everything was! It was much bigger, brighter, and louder than I'd imagined, but I liked it that way! My first thought was, "Wow, this kind of smells like the Iowa State Fair, but Spanishy!". There were amusement park rides, tons of food, tons of venders selling anything from scarves to paintings, a discoteca, a concert hall, fair games, and sweet music (some Spanish, some English) with the base cranked way up. I loved it. . . . How it worked, was there there were a few streets that were lined with all these things, and you could walk wherever you wanted. The street that I probably spent the most time on was the one with all of the rides. Here's a viedo that might give you an idea of what Feria is like:



Back to Tuesday though. That night, I went on bumper cars with my friend Miriam (she's in the video above), and it was so much fun! That may have been the best two euros I have ever spent. On Wednesday, Molly, Jaime, and I went to the cable car thing I talked about before. Apparently on Thursday and Friday there actually was school, but nobody goes because of Feria. I've been told by a few people that this is normal, that when there's a holiday in the middle of the week, students just take the rest of the week off too! Personally, I don't have a problem with this.

On Thursday night, I went to Feria again with a different group of friends from school. This time I went on two different rides with some friends, and both were awesome. On Friday night I went to Feria with Molly, and some friends she introduced me to the weekend before. Molly, Victor, and I went on "La Barca" aka the huge pirate ship ride. It swung back and forth, and we stood in one of the two cages at the ends of the boat, and it was simply amazing. Also on Friday night, we went to the discoteca at the Feria! I have to say, my first discoteca was pretty awesome. Imagine Homecoming, but 10X better, then put that on steroids - BAM, it's a discoteca. We left around 2 or 3 am, and I spent the night at Molly's house. On Saturday I went to La Canada, a shopping mall in Marbella, with Molly and her host family. Generally, it seemed the same as any other mall I've been to, except for some different stores, and the flat, ramp-like escalators (imagine an escalator, but flat, and slanted).

Just when you think that there couldn't be more feria, there is definitely more feria. After a good siesta Saturday afternoon, Molly and I went to la feria again! We went on some rides, had cotton candy, and had these AMAZING Spanish waffles called Gofres. Basically, they're fried waffles with chocolate syrup and whip cream, and when you eat them you feel like you're eating a piece of heaven, and all in the world is right. . . Also, I learned that in Australia, they call cotton cady "fairy floss"! This didn't really make sense to me, but "cotton candy" didn't really make sense to Molly, so I guess it's okay!



Tuesday night at the Feria!

So many games! Molly ended up bringing a snake home!

A piece of heaven


By Sunday afternoon (yesterday), I was wiped out. It was the last day of feria, but there was no way I was going. I did however have an interesting day though, because I met my next-door neighbors who only live there on holiday (it's their vacation home, as they are from England). It turns out that the family had four 15/16 year old girls with them (daughter, cousin, two friends), so I made some more friends! We went to a beach bar/restaurant and had a really good meal, then we went back to their house and played some cards. Around 9 or so, I had to come back home because after a 5-day break, this girl had school Monday (today).

That's about all for now! Until later, please enjoy these random photos that mostly fill in the gaps of this post :)



Spanish Jamon - I could eat it all day
Having fun in an elevator

Me and some ice cream

Piratas del Caribe?

Sardines!


Things people have made me at school! They're so nice.


Me at a grocery store with the two-in-one basket/cart
The sea! I had never seen it before arriving here.

Another fine piece of art by my classmates. Feria ^^



Hasta luego,

Josie,
Josephine,
Pepa,
Josefina,
Rubia

3 comments:

  1. Rubia? I like Pepa better! Looks like you had fun at Feria. It always makes my day to read your posts and see your pics. I Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too:) And Rubia means "blonde", kind of like "Blondie." Since nearly everyone is brunette here, it fits. I get called so many names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, can you change the color of the text in the blog archives link box in the right column? They are currently green and very difficult to see.

    ReplyDelete